Friday, June 05, 2009

Economics

I'm reading Cities and the Wealth of Nations by Jane Jacobs. I found out about this book from Economic Self-reliance Club in college.

I'm no economist (Although I was sent a letter after passing my Econ 110 class in college recruiting me to be an Economics major. My mom thought this was a pretty big compliment until I told her that my friends who got C's in the class got the letter too.), but it seems like Ms. Jacobs is pretty accurate in what she is describing.

It makes a lot of sense to me. I assume it would be in the Macro-Economics category. And it helps me to dislike a lot of things about the way our economy works and the way politicians deal with the economy.

I think this book should be a required reading for all politicians before they can be allowed to make any policy or law.

I'm also wondering why more economists don't talk about Ms. Jacobs' theory. Or maybe they do and I don't know it. Maybe there are flaws to it that I, being untutored, economically speaking, don't know or see.

Despite that, reading the book makes me dream about being in charge of a city and attempting to use her theory to guide the development of a robust economy.

There's got to be something good in a theory that inspires me like that.

2 comments:

jojoba said...

This sounds interesting, but I think to understand your post I have to have read the book.

I do wonder, though, if this is a declaration of intent to run for governor?

glarcy said...

i think the position might be opening up here soon....are my eyes deceiving me? is this a new post? welcome back.