Friday, February 24, 2006

Olympics philosophy

I have to say, I've been watching the olympics pretty closely, and I think it is awesome that the Japanese woman, Arakawa, won the gold in figure skating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a U.S. hater or anything, but I think that the world would be a better place if the Olympics weren't dominated by Western countries. If the Olympics are supposed to bring the world together, then it seems a little counterproductive to invite the world and then win all the medals and act like morons fighting over team stuff (e.g. Hedrick and Davis). It's like inviting people over to play video games, but they only get one chance and they're not as good so they get beaten or loose quickly and then you sit down to play a game that you know backwards and forwards, and you play for the next two hours while they sit there and watch. It just seems to be somewhat bad taste. So in my mind, the more medals won by countries outside of N.America and Europe the better. Even some of the small countries in Europe can win more medals. I just get sick of the U.S., Russia, Germany domination.

On the whole, I think the Olympics are wonderful and a great thing for the world. I would just like to see more people from Africa, Asia, the Arab world, S. America, and Oceana involved. And I would love for all U.S. atheletes to be good sports. But that's asking too much. We're spoiled brats.

No comments: