Thursday, March 23, 2006

Awesome!



I wish I had read this five hours ago: BCACL Team on Kilimanjaro

I would have made my students in my Psych Testing and Measurement Class read and discuss it. So many people look at a diagonsis of disability and make judgements limiting the possibilities for others. This story is just one more indication that we can never know what someone can or cannot do.

Don't ever judge or limit someone else by the way you act around them. Instead, why not help them? I loved this quote from the article:

"Whilst many 'healthy' climbers reportedly perform expeditions to raise awareness for different charities, the BCACL team members needed no one else to delegate on, in order to reach the top of Africa. They climbed the peak themselves, thus proving they're not a subject of charity, but of admiration....these climbers took values of collaboration up to the very summit. Lack of such convictions have made much more experienced climbers, busy fighting each other and feeding their egos, to fail in their goals much too often."

That's so true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

K, that's awesome. And it made me happy!

:)