Monday, March 27, 2006

Embarrassment

I went to my JoJoba's FHE tonight at her Bishop’s request. He wanted me to talk to a woman in the ward from Bulgaria. I guess it was supposed to be a fellowshipping thing. I met Teodora and talked to her for a while, and then guy got up on stage and asked for everyone's attention. He called his girlfriend of two months up on stage and started playing the painfully inept song he obviously wrote for her. I was immediately embarrassed for him. I could see the proposal coming from a mile away, and a few thoughts immediately came to mind.

1. He obviously doesn’t understand women, or he wouldn’t be making a spectacle of the proposal in front of the whole ward.
2. He evidently doesn’t realize that his song is excruciatingly awkward, as is his playing.
3. He probably doesn’t realize that she will be crying herself to sleep tonight because of the botched job he’s done at this once-in-a-lifetime-dreamed-for moment.

Five minutes later, he is still clumsily plucking away at the guitar, and strumming spasmodically the verses, as he sings about some hypothetical guy wondering if he is in love with some hypothetical girl, and I’m thinking:

1. Does he think anyone doesn’t know he’s singing about himself and his girlfriend?
2. Does he realize that she saw it coming the minute he called her up there, and she has been flushed and embarrassed, staring at the wall for the last five minutes hoping that he will stop singing already and get on with the ghastly thing since he has decided to massacre such a potentially beautiful moment?
3. I’m sure glad I never played the awfully similar love songs I have written for girlfriends to an audience of more than one.

A few minutes later, he finally gets to the part of the song where he cleverly reveals that he was singing about himself and his feelings for her all along. Shocker. Who knew? At this point Teodora leans over to me and says:

1. This must be so shameful to her.
2. I would never want my fiancé to do this to me.

And the woman next to us says, “If I were her, I would say no.”

Finally, in slow motion, he finishes the song, goes to his guitar case and gets out a ring. He then tells her that he doesn’t have a speech prepared, or any special words but…..blaah blaah blaah….she says yes and hugs him, everyone claps, and then (this is the very best part) they get off the stage and walk away from each other! Holy Hannah! Do they even care about each other at all? That is just incomprehensible to me.

The whole scene really was like a very long boring nightmare. And the worst part of it is that despite the awfulness of it all, he will be married in a short time,

and I will still be single.

5 comments:

jojoba said...

You know Bog, I doubt she cried herself to sleep. I mean, what do you think women are? golly! If she didn't like it, she would probably just be a little embarrassed, and move on with her life!

As my roommates and I were sitting there, Amy and I turned to each other and said we never want to be proposed to in public. Obviously.
But later that night, our other roommate said that she had been thinking during the embarrassing spectacle that she better be proposed to in public, or else!

I thought that was weird. But I realized, people are different. Maybe she loved being proposed to in that way. The groom here doesn't have to understand women, he only has to understand his. If he understood her, and thought that making an embarrassing spectacle would be a good idea, maybe it was.

glarcy said...

cheese and embarrassment.
maybe that's what it takes to get married....
no wonder we're all still stubbornly sitting out in the cold!

Jon said...

Yah, maybe I don't know everything I think I know. Then again...

Anonymous said...

Someday you will have a girl to which you would like to propose. And chances are that you will want that moment to be special and memorable for the both of you. Making a spectacle of yourselves may not be your cup of tea, but then again you might find a girl that you just want to shout from the Y that you are absolutely in love with. Is that really so wrong?

I joke around saying that I want to be proposed to with a ring pop and any guy who knows me REALLY well will understand why I say that. So long as it is done with real caring, love and honesty, what does it matter in the asking?

Anonymous said...

Really makes getting proposed to in the middle of the mountains miles away from any human being but my soon-to-be-fiancé sound more lovely. :) Sheesh!