Monday, March 20, 2006

Axioms

Commenting on a friend's blog tonight, I found myself suddenly spouting axioms like a cliche fountain. I think I thought I was some kind of guru. But I found myself desiring to broadcast my code of life to the world (via my blog with a readership of 5+or-2 loyal family and friends). Thus, these are some of the beliefs that govern the way I live and interact with others. In no particular order:

Axioms

  1. People are more resilient than we think.
  2. We play a lot smaller role in people’s lives than we think.
  3. You are the only person who has to be around you 24 hours a day, so play to your most loyal fan: make sure you entertain yourself.
  4. Be your number 1 fan.
  5. You know exactly the right information to make the best decision possible right at this moment.
  6. You are a valid person.
  7. People interact with you because of who you are, so don’t try to be someone different.
  8. Everyone is pretty much doing the best they know how.
  9. You don't necessarily know what is best for another person.
  10. Be you and let your personality shine through.
  11. Find ways to do things that are in harmony with your personality.
  12. You have as much worth as anyone else.
  13. You don’t have any more worth than anyone else.
  14. You have a valid perspective.
  15. People around you have valid perspectives.
  16. Find the truth in others’ perspectives.
  17. Listen.
  18. Work hard.
  19. Pray hard.
  20. Study hard.
  21. Play hard.
  22. Have fun.
  23. Relax.
  24. Sleep.
  25. Exercise.
  26. Eat.

Feel free to tell me yours. I may even adopt or adapt.

6 comments:

entrada1 said...

How about: decide to think the best of other's motives.

Jon said...

entrada: Thanks for the suggestion. I modified it to what I have believed for a while but forgot to put up until now, and inserted it as number 8.

Mum: you'll have to remind me. It may be so ingrained that I can't see around it at the moment.

Anonymous said...

It's simply reiterating what has already been said but when my friend said it to me one day it gave me reason to pause. "I am amazing. I'm not more amazing than anyone else." If we can have that attitude, we can do anything.

I've tried to keep that perspective.

glarcy said...

mine goes with #2 and I believe originated with Rob :)

you wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you knew how little they really did....

heh...and lawl.

entrada1 said...

haha, Larsh... did I really say that? I think it's probably true, though!

Jon said...

Yah. go Rob.