Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Preventative vs. Preemptive

TOTN yesterday discussed the difference between a preemptive war and a preventative war, along with the morality and the international law regarding these practices. Preventive war is when you go to war against a nation in order to prevent something happening later, but there is no imminent threat. A preemptive war is when there is an imminent threat and you strike first to avoid too many casualties. Evidently, the U.S. has a long history or preemptive war, and this is not against international law, whereas preventative war is against international law. There is little question in most peoples’ minds about the morality of a preemptive war, whereas arguments abound regarding preventative wars. For example, some assert that preventative action against Germany in the ‘30s when they re-militarized the Rhine-land would have saved the world a long and costly war.

So it seems that I am in violation of international law. I have a long history of preventative war maneuvers. I often will stop going out with someone long before it comes to a crisis if I am pretty sure I am not interested in them. Whereas, I am terrible at the preemptive thing. I will often ask someone out that one last time when it is pretty obvious that they are not interested, just to find out. So much for morality and international law in my dating life.

Now on to what you are all waiting for: A____ called me back last night a few minutes after I left a message. I assume she was screening her calls and checked with her friend _e___ to see if I was psycho or not before she called me back. She said she had been to the play already, but would be willing to go again since she has to do a report on it. So, even if nothing else works out, at least I will have helped someone in their schooling.

Maybe that will make up for the immorality of any preventative measures that I may take in the future.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yipee!
Hope you have fun. Good luck with your war. Interesting comparison.

JoLee said...

Luckily, dating is not warfare, and it is OK to stop dating someone if you don't like her. In fact, I think that is probably the moral thing to do. Nobody likes to be strung along. It sounds to me like preventative is the way to go. The fewer crises in your dating life the better.

entrada1 said...

Wow! that's a lot of posts in a short amount of time!

It sounds to me like you are spot on with your analyses. Sometimes, a blitzkrieg works well, and preempts any preventative action...

Anyway, have fun with... uh whichever letter you're on now!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with what's been said. No person likes to be strung along and that invariably leads to more heartache than the initial, honest rejection. I think that was why DTRs were invented.

Jon said...

Yah, I agree with the difference between my personal war and international war. And I agree that stringing people along only leads to hurt, which isn't cool. However, I do wonder if sometimes I preventively cut things off without giving it enough of a chance to get to know them better and maybe like them more.

I don't know....

jojoba said...

this is kinda unrelated...but bog, I'm curious about who some of these people are reading your blog (too bad all these women are married...). It's like you're popular, or something. Congratulations!

Jon said...

jojoba,

Friends are friends, no matter whether you know who they are or not. However, I do know some of them. And they're still friends.