Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Event Horizon

In support of OWW, I am reporting on the goal I made to get to bed before ten o'clock on the weekdays this week. Last night I had a bit of freetime, so I started watching TV as I ate a snack. That, of course is a dangerous thing for me to do. The TV is like a black hole that swallows my life if I get past the event horizon. It took away most of my adolescence. I've been able to break free periodically, but often have moments, hours, days of relapse. So I should have known that by turning on the TV last night I was going to have difficulty reaching my goal. Sure enough, at 9:35, I realized that I was still sitting on my duff, not preparing for bed like I would need to. With herculean effort, I tore myself away from the stupid fantasy show I was hypnotized by, and conqured my demon for one more day. I made it to bed at 9:59! Yeah. Just barely. Tonight should be better, since I have institute until 8:30 or later. No chance to be drawn in by the overpowering gravity of the black hole of mediocre TV.

5 comments:

jojoba said...

I don't know what my goal for this week should be. Maybe to do significant work on assignments at least two days before they are due so I don't stay up all night typing papers that are due the next morning. I think that would be a good goal.
Or maybe I should stick to reading a conference talk every day.

glarcy said...

what is OWW? Does it stand for "Ow Week"? Don't think I like that...sounds like I should set some excercizing goals or something. Let's see how much pain I can cause myself this week...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Man...I remember when I used to get to bed that early. Of course I had to be up much earlier than I do now, but still...that would be nice. Hmmm...that's one I should try...

glarcy said...

wow...here it is friday and you still haven't submitted a new post on your blog...I'm shocked.
and I still don't know what OWW is:)

Jon said...

glarcy-try clicking on the oww in the text. :)